Saturday, January 12, 2008

A Hard Pill to Swallow

"What shall I say? He hath both spoken unto me, and Himself hath done it. I shall go softly all my years in the humility of my soul." Isaiah 38:15 (Rev. Marg.)

There is a humiliation involved in God's work in our lives, which is why so few people actually ask for His help. Having been ingrained by Sin with a holistic sense of independence and self-centered individualism, God's workings in our lives are an offense to our sensibilities. We do not need help, as far as we are concerned. "Do I look like a sissy to you?" One of the hardest pills mankind has to swallow is Christ's most stern claim: "Without me ye can do nothing." (John 15:5b)
This is why salvation (unwatered down and unfiltered) is so offensive to the natural man. The acceptance of the redemption of Christ is not even possible without a stepping down inside, a realization and admittance to being unable to save yourself. Reception is the hardest thing; it is a total realization and acceptance of the fact that you have nothing to bring to the table--no talents, skills, wit, wisdom, powers, or abilities. You can only receive, and that offends us; we do not want to be paupers, we want to hold onto every last conceit we have. Christ has purchased salvation to "whosoever will," but that "whosoever" must will to accept it. It is no wonder salvation comes to many at the breaking point of their souls.
There was a humiliation involved in Hezekiah's salvation from sickness. For all his powers, the king could not control God; salvation belonged to Him alone. "He spoke, and He did," says Hezekiah, "I had nothing to do with it." That is the hardest attitude to obtain, and it is easy to lose in the practical world. Each time it is obtained, however, there is a marvelous freedom, the realization that not only are you not in control, but you do not have to be in control. This is not your show, it's God, and He is working all things well. We should learn to rest in that truth every day.

"The lowest is the Highest.
From my knees I get to You,
From the dust You raise me up,
From death You bring me to Your Life..."

-Jon Vowell

No comments: