Monday, June 16, 2008

The Knowing that Glorifies

"[Every]one that is called by my name...I have created Him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him.... Ye are my witnesses, saith the Lord, and my servant who I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am He. Before me, there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me." Isaiah 43:7, 10

The purpose of our existence is the knowledge of God; and through that knowledge, we glorify Him. By "knowledge," I do not mean the accumulation of facts, but the idea of intimate communion. The "knowledge" of God is trinitarian: it is the complete enmeshing of one person with another. Intimate communion is the way to know a person; abstract reasoning can only take you so far. God was meant to be known, not studied.
By "glorify," I do not mean mere worship or evangelism. I also mean that, in intimate communion with God, you are drawn more and more into Him; and by that drawing in, you become more and more like Him. Thus, the knowledge of God glorifies God because the more we partake in intimate communion with Him, the more we disappear and the more He remains. By this, we become a living channel of His presence, and therefore His glory.

"To know You and be known,
Me in You and You in I,
Wed to Fire that burns and soothes.
Oh the agony and the ecstasy..."

-Jon Vowell

No comments: