Monday, July 21, 2008

Idol-Worship As Self-Destruction

"Hearken unto me, O house of Jacob, and all the remnant of the house of Israel, which are upheld by me from birth, which are carried from the womb; and even to your old age I am He, and even to gray hairs will I carry you. I have made, and I will bear; even I will carry, and deliver you.... They bear [their idol] upon their shoulders, they carry him, and set him in his place, and he standeth...." Isaiah 46:3-7

This juxtaposition is interesting. In the first part, it is God who carries His children. In the last part, it is the idol-worshipers that carry their idol. Faith in God means resting in God; faith in anything else means resting in yourself. The burden rests upon you: you created this thing that you worship, and thus you give it meaning. Thus idol-worship is self-destructive because the thing that you created to give yourself meaning only leads you back to your meaningless self.
Faith in God means that the burden rests on God: He created you, and thus only He can give you meaning and purpose. The very moment that you rest on anything other than God, you crumble apart because it is weak and feeble you trying to rest upon weak and feeble you. There is no place of rest outside of God: we are built only for Him.

"May Your breast be my pillow
Always..."

-Jon Vowell

No comments: