Monday, July 21, 2008

Legacy of Righteousness

"Hearken unto me, ye stubborn-minded, that are far from righteousness: I bring my righteousness near; it shall not be far off, and my salvation shall not tarry, and I will place salvation in Zion for Israel my glory." Isaiah 46:12, 13

We do not go and get God's righteousness; it comes to us. Our Sin keeps us from obtaining it, kept all of us from obtaining it. It is only because Christ came to us that we can obtain God's righteousness, and it is only when God shines the light of His glorious gospel on us that we are even in a position to receive His righteousness. Until the sunlight of His gospel falls on us, we are frozen in our cave of shadows. When it hits us, we can either receive the light or reject it for our shadows. It is our choice, but we have to make a choice. When the gospel hits you, there is no neutral ground.
Righteousness is neither something you are born with or obtain; it is something you receive. This grates against man's rebellious pride. Man cannot carve out his own legacy of righteousness; he can not say, "Look what I did to obtain it." He can only point to the legacy of another and say, "Look what He did so that I may receive it."

"What You have You give to me,
For I am poor and You are Rich.
I have nothing, and You give me Everything.
I am nothing without You..."

-Jon Vowell

No comments: