Monday, July 21, 2008

Promises, Promises

"I have sworn by myself (the word has gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return), that unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall take an oath." Isaiah 45:23
"For when God made promise..., because He could swear by no greater, He swore by Himself..." Hebrews 6:13

Whether to the nations, Israel, Abraham, or us, God's promises are guaranteed upon the highest that there is, i.e., Himself. They are fully banked upon His character and nature. Men will guarantee a promise upon the head of the highest thing that they know; God swore upon Himself. What greater guarantee can you have?
Perhaps this sheds new light on Jesus' rather odd command, "Swear not at all...let your word be 'Yea, yea' or 'Nay, nay.'" (Matthew 5:34-37) As children of God, we live under and are planted upon His promises. Our lives now belong under promises sworn by the highest. We who follow God need not swear by anything because we control nothing (vs. 34-36). Thus, our promises are guaranteed because we are following God, and His will shall be done. To swear by saying simply "I will" or "I won't" is another way we live the life of faith. We are saying (in effect), "All that I have is God's. Where He leads, I will follow."

"All that I am
Is in Your Hands..."

-Jon Vowell

No comments: